This blog is part of Matplotlib Series:
- Matplotlib Series 1: Bar chart
- Matplotlib Series 2: Line chart
- Matplotlib Series 3: Pie chart
- Matplotlib Series 4: Scatter plot
- Matplotlib Series 5: Treemap
- Matplotlib Series 6: Venn diagram
- Matplotlib Series 7: Area chart
- Matplotlib Series 8: Radar chart
- Matplotlib Series 9: Word cloud
- Matplotlib Series 10: Lollipop plot (this blog)
- Matplotlib Series 11: Histogram
A lollipop plot is an hybrid between a scatter plot and a barplot.
When to use it ?
- Showing the relationship between a numerical variable and another numerical or categorical variable.
This plot describes turnovers(k euros) for each product. Among eight products, cheese’s sales bring the largest turnover (123k euros), however, it seems that consumers don’t like apple that much.
This vertical lollipop plot describes clearly turnover for each product. Obviously, cheese is prefered by clients.
You can click here to check this example in jupyter notebook.
- Steve Johnson, “painting wallpaper”, www.pexels.com. [Online]. Available: https://www.pexels.com/photo/painting-wallpaper-1070527/