Faced with the scale of the health crisis linked to COVID-19, the French Government has decided to structurally transform the partial activity mechanism, to provide France with the most protective system in Europe.
Partial activity is a tool in the service of public policy for the prevention of redundancies that allows employers in difficulty to have all or part of the cost of the remuneration of their employees covered.
The partial activity is aimed at all employees who suffer a drop in remuneration due to:
- either to a reduction in the working hours practiced in the establishment or part of the establishment below the legal working hours;
- or to a temporary closure of all or part of the establishment.
During the period of partial activity:
- The employer receives from the Service and Payment Agency (ASP) an allowance equivalent to a share of the hourly remuneration of the employee placed in partial activity;
- The employee receives a partial activity allowance from his employer, instead of his salary for the period during which he is placed in the partial activity.
Last updated on July 24, 2020, at 11:00 PM.
The most impacted sections are commerce, administration services, construction, and accommodation & restaurant. These sections need lots of contacts among people, so they have to suspend their working; especially commerce, nearly 1.1 billion hours and around 300 thousand commercial organizations are impacted.
On the other hand, among all impacted sections some are not that impacted by COVID, such as coking & refining, agriculture, forestry & fishing, machine manufacturing, and extractive industries. Working in these sections does not need to contact various people, so they are not that impacted.
Among all French regions, Ile-de-France is the most impacted one, that might because of the reduction of tourists since the COVID-19 pandemic which impacted lots of on restaurants, hotels, and other tourism-related business; moreover, the commercial business is much more in Ile-de-France than in other regions, so that more people are impacted. Similar reasons for Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes.
- “Données relatives à l’activité partielle dans le cadre de l’épidémie de COVID-19 en France”, public.opendatasoft.com. [Online]. Available: https://public.opendatasoft.com/explore/dataset/donnees-relatives-activite-partielle-covid-19-france/information/